- ALDI supports Barnardos Mother of the Year Awards
- sourcing sustainably caught fish
- ALDI Australian Packaging Covenant 2010 - 2015 Action Plan
- ALDI supports Do Something Near You
- ALDI’s commitment to nutrition earns a big Tick
- ALDI corporate responsibility
- ALDI CR policy
- all ALDI laundry detergents to be phosphate free by 2013
- ALDI supports the work of Barnardos
- ALDI teams up with Foodbank, OzHarvest and Second Bite
- Energy Efficiency Opportunities Report 2012
- our commitment to environmental sustainability
- Carbon Reduction Label Program
- ALDI leads industry to remove artificial food colours
- consumer quality assurance
- textiles quality testing
our commitment to environmental sustainability
Environmental sustainability is part of everything we do – from store design, to transportation and to supplier arrangements. Wherever we can, we reduce energy consumption, reduce carbon emissions and reduce waste.
We were awarded the Queensland Environmental Protection Agency's Westpac Corporate Sustainability award (October 2008) for implementing a number of environmentally sustainable practices throughout our business.
In 2008 and 2009 we received the Retail Packaging Action Award as part of the Packaging Magazine Evolution Awards. These awards specifically recognise National Packaging Covenant members who have excelled with packaging waste management. In fact, 96 per cent of secondary packaging waste generated at all ALDI stores is recycled.
As a result of implementing our eco-efficiency measures, we are the first grocery retailer to achieve the prestigious ecoBiz accreditation. To achieve this we had to pass a rigorous six-step process to demonstrate the eco-efficiency of our business and how we continually strive to save water, energy and resources.
We have championed a number of environmental initiatives over the years, but we are particularly proud of our plastic bag policy. Since opening our first store in 2001 we have never stocked single-use plastic bags and remain the only major grocery retailer in Australia who does not offer free plastic bags across all stores. We encourage our customers to bring their own shopping bags, or alternatively they can purchase durable shopping bags which can be reused time and time again.
Our coin deposit system for our trolleys is effective in preventing the dumping of shopping trolleys in backstreets and waterways, proving some of the simplest systems are the most effective.
Energy efficiency is a key priority in all our stores. In what is a first for a major Australian retailer, all our in store freezers have lids to minimise the loss of chilled air, helping to reduce electricity consumption. At night chiller curtains are drawn to retain the cold air and conserve electricity.